Sunday, November 29, 2015

Week 9 Blog Forum: Turning Pro

Topic 1:

Turning Pro
Leaves on a tree outside the greenhouse at LBCC in Albany - November 9, 2015


This class gave me an opportunity to create a professional platform on which I can build a portfolio to showcase my photography in a clear and focused way. That is a mouthful-of-words way of saying that I made a blog, and it looks legit, and I will continue to update it after the class is done.

I'm glad to have the experience, but journalism is not my major. My next steps are to seek employment and reduce my course-load at school; delay my "graduation" further, in a futile attempt to reduce debt...

"Where are the jobs? Where should I look?"

Jeremy Smith gets some help from his friend Cheyne Willems in bungee-ing his dodecahedron to the basket on his bicycle - November 20, 2015 (Photo credit: Sha Lindsay)

I learned about the vital necessity –as well as the accompanying difficulty– of writing complete captions. Captions could be easier for me to complete if I carried a dedicated audio-recording device to record names and information as news is happening and I'm taking pictures. Unfortunately, I don't carry a dedicated audio-recording device, but instead rely on my crummy memory and a little notebook in my back pocket. My system works pretty okay, but it often results in [unknown names] and questions over who is who.

"Is 'Steve' in this picture? Too bad I just wrote a name without any context in my notebook."

Foodservice worker Mercy Love serves hot ready-to-eat food in the courtyard at LBCC - November 12, 2015

Topic 2:

Henri Cartier-Bresson made the biggest impression on me, of the Photographers of the Week we learned about in class.

Cartier-Bresson, Henri (1908-2004) - 1960c. Self-Portrait

His candid photography is quite iconic, and the people in his pictures look natural. The pictures he took capture an un-repeatable moment in time, and his skill allowed him to capture the best shots as they occured. If my pictures can look at all like his, I'll feel like I'm a pro.

CoronaciĆ³n del Rey Jorge VI, Londres, 1937 Henri Cartier-Bresson

No comments:

Post a Comment